Folly Beach council approves permanent alcohol ban | News
FOLLY BEACH, SC (WCSC)-
Folly Beach City Council voted to approve a permanent ordinance banning alcohol from the beach in a close vote of four to three on Tuesday night.
The decision comes after over a month of debate following a July 4th skirmish in which four Folly Beach Public Safety officers and one Charleston County Sheriff's Office deputy were taken to the hospital.
There will be two more readings before the permanent ordinance can become official. The council could have put a binding referendum on the November ballot to let the voters decided, but opted to go ahead with the ban.
The temporary ban is set to run through Labor Day weekend.
Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Folly Beach Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Report: Motorcyclist tips bike over to get rid of drunk woman
- 'Little Shop of Horrors' hits the West Ashley HS stage
- West Ashley HS students pledge to 'W8 2 TXT', win 1,000 Subway subs
- Film documents Charleston FD's recovery after Sofa Super Store fire
- Holy City to announce Iron Brew II special ingredient tonight