Veterinarian: Creature that washed up on beach is a sturgeon fish | News
FOLLY BEACH, SC (WCSC)- A South Carolina Aquarium veterinarian says that a creature that reportedly washed up on Folly Beach is a sturgeon fish.
The sturgeon is one of the oldest families of bony fish in existence. According to Wikipedia, the sturgeons are native to subtropical, temperate and sub-Arctic rivers, lakes and coastlines of Eurasia and North America.
They are distinctive for their elongated bodies, lack of scales and occasional great size.
Copyright WCSC 2012. All rights reserved. Some information from Wikipedia.
Top Folly Beach Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials release details for 6th remembering of Charleston 9
- Showers and storms likely to help keep temps down
- Suspects wanted for breaking into cars at W. Ashley apartment complex
- HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say
- Former deputy accused of traffic stop assault reaches deal