Championship surfing hits Folly this weekend | Events
FOLLY BEACH (WCSC) - If you don't have a ticket to the weekend rounds of the PGA Championship, you can make your way to Folly Beach for a different kind of championship.
Surfers from around the state will compete for the South Carolina Governor's Cup this Saturday and Sunday at The Washout on Folly Beach. The Cup starts at 7 a.m. and the surfers will ride the waves till around 4 p.m. over the weekend.
The surfing state championship is in association with the Southern S.C. district of the Eastern Surfing Association. Participants in the Governor's Cup must be members of ESA.
The two-day competition is split into multiple divisions including shortboard and longboard groups. From there, surfers will be separated by age group and gender.
All proceeds from the event will benefit Surfer's healing, A Foundation for Autism.
Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Folly Beach Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police: Suspect attacked his children's mom and their crying baby
- Authorities release video of crash involving deputy, motorist
- Charleston man remembered after losing battle with Cystic Fibrosis
- Suspect sought for breaking into car, using victim's credit cards
- Deputy, woman released from hospital after W. Ashley wreck