Dead turtle washes up on Folly Beach | Urban Wildlife
A loggerhead turtle washed up in the 600 block of East Arctic on Folly Beach Monday. The SC Department of Natural Resources responded to the stranding. The animal was dead when they arrived on scene.
SCDNR staff determined the turtle was a juvenile based on its size. The shell measured 29 inches in length. Given the decomposed state of the animal, cause of death will likely not be able to be determined.
Residents finding stranded turtles are asked to call the SCDNR at 1-800-922-5431 so officials can keep track of the statistics. So far, 2010 has been an average year, with about one turtle per day being found stranded on the state's beaches.
Photo courtesy Beth Hyams.
Top Folly Beach Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials release details for 6th remembering of Charleston 9
- Showers and storms likely to help keep temps down
- Suspects wanted for breaking into cars at W. Ashley apartment complex
- HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say
- Former deputy accused of traffic stop assault reaches deal